Stirling and District Classic Car Club

All ages, makes and types are welcome

Wednesday, Jan 29th

Last update01:33:25 PM GMT

You are here: Forum Main Forum Weblogs Brian's MGB Weblog

CLASSIC CAR SHOW 2020

Our 2020 show will take place on Sunday 10 May at the usual venue of Strathallan Games Park, Bridge of Allan FK9 4QY.
The invitation letters and entry forms will be issued at the end of January 2020. If you don't receive an Invitation letter and entry form, but would like to attend, please print an entry from the SHOW section of this website. Please also read the information included in the Invitation letter. As in previous years show profits will be donated to charity.
ALSO NOTE THAT ENTRY FORMS MUST HAVE AN A5 STAMPED SELF ADDRESSED ENVELOPE TO RETURN YOUR SHOW PASS.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Brian's MGB Weblog

Brian's MGB Weblog 7 years 11 months ago #973

• Brian Kellett
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
After nearly 3 years on the road I thought it would be best to go through the list of wee jobs that I should have done in the first place when rebuilding my car.

I first bought the car in 1997 with the plan to build a kit car, but i broke all the rules of not to buy the first car i saw. The kit I was going to build used the parts from an mgb, but it should have been a chrome bumper roadster. I bought a rubber bumper gt. :( The front crossmember is different and the spring are higher.
So I decided to restore it.

The first job I did was replace all the suspension bushes as I used the car that year, but now nearly 15 years later (12 years doing nothing + 3 years on the road) the front bushes seem a bit perished.

I've now bit the bullet and bought polyurethane bushes and started with the rear suspension (a bit easier!)

rear bush kit.

Drivers side spring rear bushes slightly swollen.

When fitting spring to new shell the fuel tank wasn't there! With a bit of swearing and levering the bush out the shackle finally came off.

Front spring eye bush didnt look too bad.

New and old bushes together.

I used a hydraulic press to remove front bush, but fitting the new bush was quite tricky because of the flanges. I tried squeezing with a hose clip,
but with the grease it just kept slipping out, so I just forced it in with the press.

The spring back in place.

With that side done I removed the other rear spring which seems to have a bit of wear on the spring eye.

That must be the cause of the thump when I went over bumps. I haven't removed the bush yet but if the eye turns out to be worn that means a new spring :(
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Brian's MGB Weblog 7 years 11 months ago #974

• stevie
Sorry no longer a member .
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by stevie.

Re:Brian's MGB Weblog 7 years 11 months ago #983

• WILLIE BENNIE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Interesting wee story Brian.
I fitted the polybushes to the front of the Vitesse a couple of years ago. It tightened up the front end and really made a difference to the handling.

Re:Brian's MGB Weblog 7 years 11 months ago #984

• Brian Kellett
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the comments guys.

When I removed the bush the outer steel shell of the bush was quite deformed and the spring eye was slightly oval so I gave it a squeeze in the vice which seemed to do the trick in making it round again. Which is quite worrying as I thought spring steel would just bounce back to shape.

The rear springs are not the original ones from the car but new (years ago!) lowered ones to suit the chrome bumber ride height but have rusted between the leaves.

After stripping them down,

I gave them a wire brush up and smeared them with truck 5th wheel coupling lube

It's a very sticky, runny grease!

Just need to refit it then tackle the front.

Re:Brian's MGB Weblog 7 years 11 months ago #985

• gordon brown
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
:cheer: Well done Brian been there bought the tee shirt. :cheer: The front should be a bit easier once you compress the springs and get the bloody split-pins oot, :angry:
Gordon,

Re:Brian's MGB Weblog 7 years 7 months ago #1067

• Brian Kellett
  • Expert Boarder
With the MOT looming I thought I'd get round to changing the front bushes. Nearly 4 years on from first MOT everything has gone a bit rusty. This is the drivers side.

All the splitpins and nuts came off no bother and the bushes didn't look too bad apart from one wishbone bush which has started to rip.

The arm though is a bit corroded.

Original MG wishbone bushes are in two halves but I originally fitted uprated ones from the V8, the poly bushes are two piece.

Removing the crossmember pads I found a mistake i had made. There should be two flat and two stepped pads on each side!

I've still to strip down the nearside, but i think i'll get new wishbone arms to save the new bushes from wearing too quick.
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Brian Kellett. Reason: photo moved

Re:Brian's MGB Weblog 7 years 7 months ago #1081

• Brian Kellett
  • Expert Boarder
I thought I'd made a mistake with the crossmember pads being wrongly fitted before, but the other side was the same. Early MGB's had a different crossmember and only needed two lipped pads. Later rubber bumper cars had increased ride height due to a modified crossmember and had three fitted. Only two in the kit so I'll see how it goes with one less.

I've now got the new wishbones and 3/4" anti-roll bar fitted although I hade some bother getting it to line up.

Stub axles and dampers were painted up.

A new track rod end was fitted to n/s because the boot was burst which is now an MOT failure.

I stripped the top trunnion nyloc nut when tightening it and didn't have any more, so I had to make a castleated nut!

With it all done it just needs MOT'd so I can get to Moffat on Sunday :)

Re:Brian's MGB Weblog 7 years 7 months ago #1082

• Brian Kellett
  • Expert Boarder
That's it MOT'd with no advisories :cheer:

Just had to wade home though, through the flash floods in Bonnybridge :(
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds